Child Care Licensing
FL Dept of Health in Pinellas - Pinellas County Child Care Licensing Program
Family Child Care Homes
ATTENTION LICENSING APPLICANTS
Thank you for your interest in becoming a licensed Family Day Care Home provider. The following items are required prior to receiving an application:
Step #1 Training and Documentation
Social Security Numbers:
The Child Care Licensing Program collects the Social Security numbers of providers and their household members, employees, and substitutes for the purpose of conducting state mandated level II background screenings (Chapter 435 Florida Statutes), a requirement of child care licensure. Social Security numbers are used as a unique numeric identifier for search purposes.
Applicant and Substitute Training:
It is imperative that you and your substitute complete the following required training. Keep at least two copies of all training documentation in your child care business file.
Training and transcript information follows. To register for a course, call the Pinellas County Schools Training Office at 727-588-6343 or visit www.myflorida.com/childcare/training
- 30-Clock Hour Family Child Care Home Training– Applicant must complete the training. Transcripts are available online.
- Request your substitute take the following appropriate training: 30-clock-hour Family Child Care Home training if working 40 hours or more a month.
OR the six (6) clock hour Family Child Care Home Rules and Regulations training if working less than 40 hours a month.
- Early Literacy and Language Development Training – Applicant must complete a 5-clock-hour or .5 Continuing Education Units (CEU) of training in early literacy and language development of children birth through 5-years of age.
- If your substitute will work 40 hours or more a month, he/she must take the 5-clock-hour Early Literacy course. For more information visit myflorida.com/childcare/training Transcripts are available online.
- Infant/Child CPR– Applicant and substitute must complete the training. This training is not allowed to be completed online. A list of approved trainers is available.
- First Aid Applicant and substitute must take this class. List of approved trainers is available.
- Bloodborne Pathogens Training: available at udemy.com/bloodborne-pathogens/
- Fire Extinguisher Training: available at fireextinguishertraining.com
- Safe Sleep/Shaken Baby Training: available at myfamilies.com or www.earlylearningflorida.com
- Plan of Operation: available at pclb.org under “Family Child Care Homes Forms”
- Plan of Evacuation: available at pclb.org under “Family Child Care Homes Forms”
- Pool Safety Course is required of provider and substitute if your home has a pool.
- www.icceonline.com or you can google “water safety course”
Step #2 Background Screening
When you attend the Provider Training Class, all forms will be provided. You may also go to our website www.pclb.org under ‘Family Child Care Homes Forms’ to download your own copies. Please copy forms as needed making sure double-sided forms are copied double-sided.
Complete the following Background Screening information and submit altogether in one envelope (including requirements for substitutes) to:
Pinellas County License Board
8751 Ulmerton Road Suite 2000
Largo, FL 33771-3832
Central Abuse Hotline Record Search– Return one completed form that includes the following persons – applicant and all persons in the household regardless of age. Complete both sides of the form excluding sections: “To be completed by requesting agency” and ‘Results”.
Request for FDLE Criminal History Information–Return one completed form per person for each household member age 12 through 17 years of age. Include check or money order payable to FDLE in the amount of $8.00 for each household member age 12 through 17 years of age.
Attestation of Good Moral Character–Return one completed form per person for each of the following persons –applicant, substitute, and each person in the household 18 years of age and older.
Employment History– Both applicant and substitute must complete and return one Verification of Employment History form, listing all employers for the past 5 years. If the applicant or substitute has been unemployed or self-employed, check the appropriate box and note dates. On the Employer Verification Form both applicant and substitute complete the top portion sign and submit to CCLP. Our office will submit them to be completed by employer. Please be sure the address and phone number is complete on the Verification of Employment History form.
Fingerprinting –The applicant, substitute, and each person in the household 18 years of age and older must be fingerprinted through the DCF Clearinghouse Live Scan Fingerprint
Level II Screening process before an Application for Licensure is provided to applicant. Also
prior to registering with the DCF Clearinghouse for fingerprinting, applicant must:
- Submit training transcripts (for both applicant and substitute)
- Submit CPR and First Aid certificates (for both applicant and substitute)
- Submit Plan of Operation and Plan of Evacuation (applicant) both available at PCLB.org under Family Child Care Homes Forms.
Once the Child Care License Office has received the above documents, CCLP will request an OCA number for you. Our office will then forward you an email with the OCA number and the steps to register in the DCF Clearinghouse. Once you have successfully registered you may then go to a Live Scan Vendor to be fingerprinted. You will need to check the Clearinghouse for your results and then forward them to our office. Once we have received clearances for all household members, substitutes and provider, along with all other background screening requirements, an Application for Licensure will be mailed. In the Provider Training Class, the steps on how to register in the Clearinghouse and how to initiate a screening will be reviewed.
When the completed packet has been received, requirements have been met, and a specialist has inspected and approved your home, a Temporary Permit will be issued. If all requirements continue to be met, a license will then be issued. The license is renewable annually.