September is National Recovery Month
September 01, 2023
Recovery after addiction can be difficult for anyone unfamiliar with the supportive tools and resources available in their community. That is why we partner with organizations – including recovery groups, faith-based communities, government agencies, and medical providers – to support individuals as they navigate sobriety. We connect individuals to needed resources, assist those who are experiencing substance use, and support those who have recovered.
Many programs offer compassionate support and resources for individuals experiencing addiction, including their family and friends. These include:
- Pinellas County Resource Guide: This guide collects information in one document for anyone looking for Pinellas County specific tools or programs to help with their sobriety. Download the file and select the “Recovery Treatment Centers” tab at the bottom for a list of many resources.
- The Pinellas County Opioid Task Force: This consortium of agencies meets regularly to discuss the opioid crisis and what steps can be taken locally. Peers are represented to assist with recovery resources and create action plans to address the issue.
- Coordinated Opioid Recovery (CORe): This first-of-its-kind statewide plan ensures patients receive more than emergency care. They are connected to primary medical services, psychiatric evaluation, maternal assistance, and social support such as career training and emergency housing.
- Naloxone (Narcan) Distribution: Naloxone, when administered during an opioid overdose incident, can allow time for first responders to arrive to provide life-saving treatment. Naloxone is provided at no cost at our DOH-Pinellas clinical locations.
- Infectious Disease Elimination Action (IDEA) Exchange: This program allows persons who inject drugs to bring their needles in to exchange for new, sterile ones. The purpose of this program to prevent the spread of bloodborne illnesses and connect clients to drug cessation counseling.
Recovery is possible. DOH-Pinellas and our partners are committed to help those who are in need find their way to a healthier future.