The mission of the Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County is to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.
Within Health Promotion we work with local schools, government and community partners to keep people of all ages healthy and to implement policies, systems and environmental changes for all members of the community.
Healthy Weight Initiative
Healthiest Weight Florida is a public-private collaboration bringing together state agencies, not for profit organizations, businesses, and entire communities to help Florida’s children and adults make consistent, informed choices about healthy eating and active living.
The initiative works closely with partners to leverage existing resources to maximize reach and impact. These partners include the business community, hospitals, non-governmental organizations, non-profit agencies, other federal, state, or local government agencies, and volunteer coalitions.
Working in 6 different “Healthy Places”
• Birthing Facilities- Goals are to increase breastfeeding initiation and duration and to increase the number of Birthing Facilities implementing the 10 Steps to Successful Breastfeeding.
• Early Care & Education-Goal is to increase the number of Early Childhood Education locations implementing best practices related to physical activity and nutrition.
• Schools- Goal is to increase the number of schools and school districts implementing best practices related to physical activity and nutrition
• Worksites-Goal is to increase the number of worksites implementing best practices related to employee wellness.
• Health Care Settings-Goal is to increase referrals of patients with prediabetes to a CDC-recognized DPP and patients with diabetes to a DSME program.
• Communities-Goal is to increase the number of communities awarded the Community Champion Recognition
Other activities within the Office to help carry out the mission are:
- Collaborate with community partner agencies and organizations to implement initiatives that promote healthy behaviors.
- Plan and conduct outreach to the community to educate about policy and environmental issues relating to physical activity and nutrition.
- Represents DOH-Pinellas and the office at various community meetings (coalitions, task forces, information exchange activities, etc.).
- Promote partner agencies healthy behavior programs to the community as well as early detection and screenings for chronic disease such as: breast cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
Email Advisory: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Office of Health Promotion and School Health
Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County
12420 130th Ave N Largo, FL 33774
Phone: (727) 588-4040
Fax: (727) 588-4010