Health Promotion And School Health
The mission of the Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County is to protect, promote & improve the health of all people in Florida through integrated state, county and community efforts.
Within the Office of Health Promotion and School Health we work with local schools, government and community partners to keep people of all ages healthy and to implement policies, systems and environmental changes for all members of the community.
Programs under the Office of Health Promotion and School Health are:
- Encouraging more healthy foods in schools and in workplace vending machines
- Enabling farmers' markets and community gardens
- Enhance infrastructure for safe pedestrian and non-motorized vehicle activity
- Enlisting faith-based groups in promoting improved nutrition and increased physical activity
- Provide consultation regarding planning, implementing and evaluation of wellness policies, healthy nutrition and safe places for physical activity
- Multi-media consumer campaign, Find the Fun Now, which is designed to make it easier to find active fun anywhere in Pinellas. (www.FindTheFunNow.com)
Healthy Pinellas Coalition
The goal of the Healthy Pinellas Coalition is to create a culture of health and wellness with a vision of becoming one of the healthiest counties in Florida. Preventing disease and maintaining good health is easier when people and communities are surrounded by environments where the heatlhy choice is the easy choice.
The Healthy Pinellas Coalition will convene, connect and communicate through partnerships that leverage resources to establish healthier places, programs and policies. The purpose of the first Healthy Pinellas Coalition meeting is to share on the best practices in Pinellas County around physical activity, healthy nutrition, and the built environment. You have been invited because of the role you play in providing Pinellas County residents a healthier environment and/or because you have been part of the Community Health Improvement Plan (CHIP) in Pinellas County.
To view the CHIP activities, please go to:
http://pinellas.floridahealth.gov/programs-and-services/wellness-programs/health-promo-school-health/_documents/pinellas-county-chip-2013-2017.pdf/a> (pdf 1.1mb)
Meetings are held quarterly.Contact:
Community Partnership Coordinator
Partnerships to Improve Community Health (PICH)
Health Promotion and School Health DOH - Pinellas County
12420 130th Avenue North
Largo, FL 33774
Office: (727) 588-4040 x3118
See more about the Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County's Mission, Vision, and Values.
Tobacco Prevention Program
See the full details of the Health Promotion's Tobacco Prevention Program
Other activities within the Office to help carry out the mission are:
- Collaborate with community partner agencies and organizations to implement initiatives that promote healthy behaviors.
- Plan and conduct outreach to the community to educate about policy and environmental issues relating to physical activity and nutrition.
- Represents DOH-Pinellas and the office at various community meetings (coalitions, task forces, information exchange activities, etc.).
- Promote partner agencies healthy behavior programs to the community as well as early detection and screenings for chronic disease such as: breast cancer, diabetes and heart disease.
Email Advisory: Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.
Office of Health Promotion and School Health
Florida Department of Health in Pinellas County
12420 130th Ave N Largo, FL 33774
Phone: (727) 588-4040
Fax: (727) 588-4012