Parents as Teachers+
Parents As Teachers+ (PAT+) is a program of the Healthy Start Coalition of Pinellas. PAT+ is an evidence based, court approved, home visiting parent education program that strives to:
- Improve child development
- Strengthen family relationships
- Support parent/child attachment
- Promote positive birth outcomes
- Reduce substance use in parents
PAT+ focuses services on pregnant women and families with infants ages birth-1 who are substance involved or have a substance use history. Families receiving PAT+ services may remain in the program until the child turns three years of age. The PAT+ team is certified in the Parents as Teachers two-year foundational curriculum that focuses on prenatal care through the child’s third year of life. PAT+ provides services that include home visits, care coordination, developmental assessments, support groups, mental health counseling, contraception and health screening, family strengthening and parent skills training as well as substance abuse recovery and relapse prevention services.
Thanks to Operation PAR and the Pinellas Substance Exposed Newborns Task Force, the Keeping Baby Healthy Guide, a guide for Parents, Families and Friends of Substance Exposed Newborns was created.
In this guide, youll find:
- Symptoms of withdrawal in newborns
- Resources for substance use treatment and smoking cessation
- How to select a pediatrician that is right for your family
- Routine infant care tips